The Cackle Special Edition
2021 Genesee County Small Business Analysis
For this special edition of The Cackle, we spoke with owners of Genesee County small businesses who participated in our comprehensive research for the 2021 Genesee County Small Business Analysis. These entrepreneurs and community leaders were integral to our research, and now, we are excited to feature them on our platform and hear more about their stories, as well as those of their companies. Watch these discussions to learn about the experiences of small business owners in Genesee County, how you can support businesses in Flint and the broader Genesee County region, and why it is important to continue to shop local in 2021!
The Cackle highlights small businesses, startups, and people who have an impact on communities across the Midwest. In nearly 100 episodes, we explore a wide range of topics relating to the vibrancy of local economies, including: entrepreneurial journeys, economic trends, the challenges small businesses and startups face, and the importance of building a diverse and inclusive community.
A special thanks to our sponsor:
Flint & Genesee Economic Alliance
Our Guests – Owners of Genesee County Small Businesses
Aired on June 8 on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Fireside Coffee, a craft coffee roaster and coffee shop in Swartz Creek founded by Carol Davis in 1988. Fireside Coffee distributes to retailers nationwide and, in 2016, the company added a coffee shop to their building. In addition to custom coffee blends, the café sells handcrafted and locally-made ceramic mugs, hand-carved coffee scoops, and pastries.
- Kentakee Athletic & Social Clubs, a community-based nonprofit organization in Flint founded by Angela Stamps in 2010. Angela started this organization after discovering a love for biking, and is dedicated to empowering and inspiring Genesee County youth through educational and physical programs oriented around the activity.
- Citizens Statewide Security, a security and surveillance technology company opened by Flint resident Deborah L. Johnson in 2003. Deborah and her husband founded the business in their basement, working tirelessly to grow their business in the interest of protecting the homes and businesses in their community. Now, Citizens Statewide Security is a premier security company in the region.
Aired on June 9 on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Creative Hair School of Cosmetology, a cosmetology school founded by Flint resident Corinthian Carouthers in 1999. A former model with a passion for empowering others through beauty, Corinthian opened the school in the hopes of transforming the lives of students through creative hairstyling.
- Flint Trading Co., an art gallery home goods store founded by Flint Resident Walter McAdow in 2018. The business offers a unique retail experience by offering limited edition art objects, home goods, and jewelry from local artists. In the future, Flint Trading Co. plans to host workshops for people to work alongside artists and make their own pieces.
- JJ Cardinal’s, a wild bird and nature store located in Grand Blanc and has been owned by Gretchen and Ken Giles since 2017. After purchasing the store from founder Louise Dawson, Gretchen and Ken continue her mission of spreading passion for nature to others by offering feed and shelter for animals, gardening supplies, and educational services.
Aired on June 10 on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Friends of Berston, a nonprofit organization founded by Flint resident Bryant Nolden in 2014. This organization is dedicated to preserving the historic Berston Field House and its legacy. Berston Field House was built in 1923 and has since been used as a center for underserved communities, nurturing some of the area’s top athletic talent.
- Kamazing Angels Dance Factory, a dance school and studio located in Flint and directed by Coach Shyteanna Thomas. Founded by in 2018, the school features a youth majorette dance team with almost 50 members. Not only are the Kamazing Angels passionate about expressing themselves through dance, but they are also dedicated to community service for Flint.
- Howe Art Supplies and Gallery, an arts and crafts store in Swartz Creek founded by Flint resident Sharlene L. Howe in 2010. An artist herself, Sharlene takes care to ensure her store offers high-quality, affordable, and unique supplies and products. Additionally, Howe Art Supplies both offers art classes functions as a gallery where local artists sell work.
Learn more about Genesee County Small Businesses
About The Cackle
The Cackle is EntryPoint’s popular, weekly interview series available to watch every Wednesday at 10:30 AM EST live on Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn!
– Watch 60+ Past Episodes of The Cackle –
Each week on The Cackle, we highlight small businesses, startups, and people who have an impact on communities across the Midwest. We explore a wide range of topics relating to the vibrancy of local economies, including: entrepreneurial journeys, economic trends found in our research, the challenges facing small businesses and startups face, and the importance of building a diverse and inclusive community.
At EntryPoint, we LOVE working with economic development organizations and nonprofits that are strategic, value listening to the needs of community members, and are passionate about building more opportunity and vibrancy in their communities.
EntryPoint is a registered 501(c)(3).